Dennis McIntosh, PhD
Professor and Extension Specialist - Aquaculture
Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources
Ag Annex - RM 107c
dmcintosh [at] desu.edu
Ph.D. Environmental Science. 2002. University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ.
M.S. Mariculture. 1999. Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi, Corpus Christi, TX.
B.S. Marine Science. 1994. Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, Pomona, NJ.
- Freshwater and marine aquaculture; water quality; integrated aquaculture/agriculture systems; aquaculture effluents; recirculation technology.
- World Aquaculture Society (lifetime member). 09/97 - present
- United States Aquaculture Society. 09/97 - present
- National Aquaculture Association. 01/01 - present
- Aquacultural Engineering Society. 12/08 - present
- East Coast Shellfish Growers Association. 05/18 - present
- Delaware Aquaculture Association. 11/18 - present.
- Tabibian, A., G. S. Blank and D. McIntosh. (in preparation). Impacts of Black Soldier Fly Larvae on Growth and Survival of Largemouth Bass. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society.
- Myer, J., H. J. Schreier, E. J. Schott, G. Blank and D. McIntosh. (in preparation). Examination of the probiotic potential of bacteria isolated from Fundulus heteroclitus in the aquaculture of commercially important fish larvae. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society.
- US EPA. 2016. Aquaponics Business Plan User Guide (#EPA 560-K-16-004). United States Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC.
- Blank, G. and D. McIntosh. 2016. Constructing an Aquatic Rack System on a Budget. Aquaculture Research 47 (1): 50-55.
- Hickey, M. E., G. M. Accumanno, D. M. McIntosh, G. S. Blank and J. L. Lee. 2014. Comparison of extracellular DNase- and protease-producing spoilage bacteria isolated from Delaware pond-sourced and retail channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.6784.
- Janiak, C. R. and D. McIntosh. 2014. Performance of two egg collector designs for use with Mummichogs Fundulus heteroclitus. North American Journal of Aquaculture 76(4): 399-406.
- Cornwell, E. R., M. J. Cinelli, D. M. McIntosh, G. S. Blank, G. A. Wooster, G. H. Groocock, R. G. Getchell and P. R. Bowser. 2011. Epizootic Nocardia infection in cultured weakfish, Cynoscion regalis (Bloch & Schneider). Journal of Fish Diseases 34(7): 567-571.
- Kapareiko, D., G. Wikfors, J. H. Alix, E. J. Schott, H. .J. Schreier, D. McIntosh, J. M. Rash and O. Ukaegbu. 2011. Interactions of a probiotic bacterium and a shellfish larval pathogen during hatchery larviculture of eastern oysters (Crassostrea virginica). Journal of Shellfish Research 30:437-458.
Honors & Awards
- First State Innovation Team Award - October 2017
- University of Delaware Cooperative Extension 2009 Award of Excellence (Team), Delaware State Fair Tent - Positively Outrageous Service
- University of Delaware Cooperative Extension 2007 Award of Excellence (Team), Delaware State Fair Tent - Positively Outrageous Service
- Delaware State University Extension Employee of the Year 2007
- University of Delaware Cooperative Extension 2006 Directors Spirit Award
- 1890 System-Wide Integration Award - 2005 AEA/ARD Joint Conference
- United States Aquaculture Society, Abstract/Travel Award - Aquaculture America 2002, San Diego, CA
- W. H. Fuller Scholarship, 8/00-5/01
- AQUACULTURE (NTRS - 261) - Spring 2005, Fall 2006, Fall 2008, Fall 2010, Fall 2012, Fall 2014, Fall 2016, Fall 2018
- PROBLEMS IN AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES (AGRI - 350) - Spring 2008, Spring 2009, Fall 2010, Spring 2012, Fall 2017