Mingxin Guo, PhD
Professor of Soil & Environmental Chemistry
14 Baker Bldg.,
Department of Agriculture & Natural Resources,
Delaware State University, Dover, DE 19901
mguo [at] desu.edu
Ph.D., Soil Science. 2001. The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
M.S., Environmental Chemistry. 1995. Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
B.S., Environmental Soil Science. 1990. Beijing Agricultural University, Beijing, China
Dr. Guo’s research has been focusing on four agriculture-related areas: 1) Soil health assessment and management, 2) transformation and transport of nutrients, heavy metals, and pesticides in soil-water-plant systems, 3) valorization of agricultural byproducts, and 4) bioenergy, climate change, and sustainability education. The overall goal is to enhance soil quality and environmental sustainability through developing best agricultural production and management practices. Specifically, the research program aims to evaluate the effectiveness of land management practices for improving soil health, identify value-added approaches for reusing agricultural byproducts, and provide stakeholders with frontier training on bioeconomy and sustainability.
- Regular Member, Soil Science Society of America
- Regular Member, American Chemical Society
- Member, Delaware Water Resources Center Advisory Board
- Guo, M., H. Li, J. Morrison, and B.S. Baldwin. 2019. Thermochemical processing of animal manure for bioenergy and biochar. In: H.M. Waldrip, P.H. Pagliari, Z. He (eds.) Animal Manure: Production, Characteristics, Environmental Concerns and Management. SSSA Spec. Publ. 63. Soil Science Society of America, Madison, WI.
- Tian, J., J. Jin, P.C. Chiu, D.K. Cha, M. Guo, and P.T. Imhoff. 2019. A pilot-scale, bi-layer bioretention system with biochar and zero-valent iron for enhanced nitrate removal from stormwater. Water Res. 148:378–387.
- Guo, M. and W. Song. 2018. The growing U.S. bioeconomy: Drivers, development, and constraints. N. Biotechnol. doi: 10.1016/j.nbt.2018.08.005
- He, Z, M. Guo, R.L. Sleighter, H. Zhang, F. Chanel, and P.G. Hatcher. 2018. Characterization of defatted cottonseed meal-derived pyrolysis bio-oil by ultrahigh resolution electrospray ionization Fourier transform ion cyclotron resonance mass spectrometry. J. Anal. Appl. Pyrolysis 136:96–106.
- Li, W., X. Feng, W. Song, and M. Guo. 2018. Transformation of phosphorus in speciation and bioavailability during converting poultry litter to biochar. Front. Sustain. Food Syst. 2:20. doi: 10.3389/fsufs.2018.00020
- Liu, L., W. Li, W. Song, and M. Guo. 2018. Remediation techniques for heavy metal-contaminated soils: Principles and applicability. Sci. Total Environ. 633:206–219.
- Wang, C., W. Li, M. Guo, and J. Ji. 2017. Ecological risk assessment on heavy metals in soils: Potential use of soil diffuse reflectance mid-infrared Fourier-transform spectroscopy. Sci. Rep. | 7:40709 | DOI: 10.1038/srep40709.
- Tian, J., V. Miller, P.C. Chiu, J.A. Maresca, M. Guo, and P.T. Imhoff. 2016. Nutrient release and ammonium sorption of poultry litter and wood biochars in stormwater treatment. Sci. Total Environ. 553:596–606.
- Guo, M, Z. He, and S.M. Uchimiya. 2016. Agricultural and Environmental Applications of Biochar: Advances and Barriers. SSSA Spec. Publ. 63. Soil Science Society of America, Madison, WI.
- Guo, M., Z. He, and S.M. Uchimiya. 2016. Introduction to biochar as an agricultural and environmental amendment. p.1–14. In: M. Guo et al., editors, Agricultural and Environmental Applications of Biochar: Advances and Barriers. SSSA Spec. Publ. 63. SSSA, Madison, WI. doi:10.2136/sssaspecpub63.2014.0034.
- Guo, M. 2016. Pyrogenic carbon in Terra Preta soils. p.15–27. In: M. Guo et al., editors, Agricultural and Environmental Applications of Biochar: Advances and Barriers. SSSA Spec. Publ. 63. SSSA, Madison, WI. doi:10.2136/sssaspecpub63.2014.0035.
- Guo, M. 2016. Application of biochcar for soil physical improvement. p.101–122. In: M. Guo et al., editors, Agricultural and Environmental Applications of Biochar: Advances and Barriers. SSSA Spec. Publ. 63. SSSA, Madison, WI. doi:10.2136/sssaspecpub63.2014.0039.
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Associate Editor Award, Journal of Environmental Quality, 2012
- Research Excellence Award. Delaware State University, 2013
- Soil Science (AG208)
- Soil and Water Management (NR401)
- Hydrology (NR302)
- Limnology (NR313)
- Introduction to Environmental Science (NR103)
- Biometrics (NR321)