Cherese Winstead, PhD
Associate Professor, Chair
cwinstead [at] desu.edu
PhD. Analytical Chemistry, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University (Virginia Tech) (2002)
M.S. Analytical Chemistry, Hampton University (1997)
B.S. Chemistry, Delaware State University (1995)
Brief Non-technical Description of Research
Our research centers the study of advanced nanomaterials in the areas of energy, biomedicine, and environmental applications. Our work intersects the interdisciplinary areas of material science, engineering, physics, bioscience, and chemistry encompassing inorganic, organic and hybrid nanomaterials, nanoparticles, nanowires and nanotubes, nanodiamonds and related materials. Applications of our research span the areas of catalysis, sensors, nanomedicine, energy conversion and storage, and nanotechnology.
Recent Courses Taught
Polymer Chemistry, Materials Chemistry, General Chemistry
Recent Selected Publications
- WINSTEAD, Cherese et al. Review: Biomimetic nanofibers in the ex vivo expansion of cord blood-derived hematopoietic stem cells.Medical Research Archives, [S.l.], v. 8, n. 7, july 2020. ISSN 2375-1924. doi: https://doi.org/10.18103/mra.v8i7.2080.
- K. Milligan; C.Winstead, C; J. Smith, Preparation and physicochemical characterization of chitosan nanoparticles for controlled delivery of oxytocin, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, 9 (4), 1430-1440, 2018.
- Pushpika Katugampola, C. Winstead, Rheology and Thermal Studies of Stearoyl Chitosan Varying the Degree of Substitution, Journal of Polymer and Textile Engineering, 4 (1), pp 22-29, 2017.
- Xiaolong Bia, Shoujun Yuan, Xiaojun Pan, C. Winstead, Qiquan Wang. Comparison, association, and risk assessment of phthalates. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A: Toxic/Hazardous Substances and Environmental Engineering. Volume 50, Issue 14, 2015. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10934529.2015.1074482.
- P. Katugampola, C. Winstead, Rheological behavior and thermal stability of palmitoyl chitosan varying the degree of substitution, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science Invention, 2319 – 6718, 3(11), pp.24-32, 2014
- P. Katugampola, C. Winstead,Thermal Stability of carboxymethyl chitosan varying the degree of substitution, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science Invention, vol. 3, pp 42-48, 2014
- Pushpika Katugampola, C. Winstead. Rheological behavior and thermal stability of palmitoyl chitosan varying the degree of substitution. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science Invention (IJPSI). Volume 3, Issue 11, 2014. http://www.ijpsi.org/Papers/Vol3(11)/D0311024032.pdf